Sunday, December 29, 2013

Most Memorable Moments of 2013

Believe it or not, we're in the final days of 2013! Can you believe how quickly this year has flashed by?

As a blogger, I'm a huge fan of reflecting. It's just what we bloggers do. So as the year draws to a close, I'd like to share with you some of the most memorable moments of this past year, month by month. I say most memorable moments instead of favorite moments, as not all of these are memories that I'll look back and smile upon (see April, for example), but definitely ones that will not soon be forgotten.

Also, since this little blog of mine has only been alive and kickin' since March, you readers out there will get two months of never-before-read stories! Hooray! :)

So, without further adieu, here are the Most Memorable Moments of 2013!

January
Began coaching Dean Women's Lacrosse


I was so excited to have the opportunity to be around my favorite sport and to teach the players (many of whom had never played before) the basics behind lacrosse. Being a volunteer assistant coach was very challenging for various reasons, but I learned so much from it and it was very rewarding working with students and being around something I love. I wish I had time to continue my coaching career this spring, but unfortunately there are only 24 hours in the day and school/work/time with loved ones take priority!

February 
Completing my first half marathon!


I signed up for my first 13.1 (the Hyannis Half Marathon!) in the fall of 2012, when I was feeling a bit lost and didn't feel like I had much direction in life. I thought that signing up for something out of my comfort zone would give me some sort of purpose, and throughout my training, I found a new love for running. This race was rainy, windy, and cold, but I did it with one of my closest friends, Louie, and the sense of accomplishment we both had after this race was enough to get us both addicted to long distances. I'm so happy I signed up for this race - it brought me a new hobby and closer to an old friend.

March
East coast road trip with Rob!
Related posts: I-95


This trip was a much needed escape for Rob and I. We were in the midst of all the stress that comes with applying for grad school, and months of uncertainty can really take a lot out of you. Packing up my car and getting far away from our current situation was just what we needed, and we had so many good/interesting times along the way (eg. Osarka, the waiter at Smokey Bones, running into BSU folks in Washington, DC [who later became my coworkers/students I advise], Wet Willies, and other shenanigans).

April
Week of the Boston Marathon
Related posts: A Strange Day in Boston | Moving Forward


Not only was I at the race (luckily a few miles from the finish), but students of mine were at the finish line (fortunately none were hurt), I watched the FBI announce the suspects live on the news while I was running on the treadmill, I listened in to the police scanners as the firefights happened minutes from my undergraduate institution, was texted pictures of the wanted billboards as my dad drove down an eerily deserted highway, and frantically refreshed Twitter from a bus bringing my lacrosse team to a game in New York while police forces closed in on a boat in Watertown where Suspect #2 was captured.  Needless to say, that was one of the most stressful and anxiety producing weeks of my life where I felt legitimate fear for the lives of myself, my friends, and the well being of my city. That is not a week that will easily be forgotten.

May
Completing my first year in the Student Affairs field & turning 23!
Related posts: Twenty-Three!


Coincidentally, my birthday landed on the same day of Dean's graduation, and subsequently marked the end of my first year of working in the Student Affairs field! It felt good to accomplish the feat of a first year as a young professional, and it felt even better to celebrate with an awesome birthday party thrown by some of my awesome friends!

June
Moving into a new place/First OCR/Stanley Cup Playoffs/GA offer
Related posts: New Apartment Tour! | Mud, Sweat, and Bruised Bums | Sad Bruins Fan


June was a busy month for me! Brett and I moved into Dean Hall, I ran my first obstacle course race, I was offered my graduate assistantship at BSU, and (although the Bruins wound up losing) spent a lot of time watching the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Looking back, June was one of the funnest months of the year!

July 
Lake Ossippee with Brett's family & doing an OCR with my parents!
Related posts: Breakfast Pizza and Polish Horseshoes | Foamy Family Bonding 


Finding out that Brett and I had a shared love for my home state was one of my favorite discoveries of our relationship to date. Getting to spend 4th of July weekend at his family's camp was very special and lots of fun! My family and I also did a little bonding of our own when we got to play in foam and mud during the Foam Fest 5K!


August
Erika's wedding & getting into the swing of things at BSU
Related posts: Erika and Nick got Hitched! | A Glimpse into GA-hood!


One of my lacrosse teammates got married in August! It was so awesome seeing all of the lacrosse girls  in one place again, and I was so excited that Erika invited me to share her special day with her. Things at BSU started really picking up in this month as well. I really started to get into the swing of things and started to feel comfortable in my new job. It always takes me a little while to really start feeling comfortable in a new environment, and this is the month where BSU started to feel like a place where I could be myself!

September
Starting grad school!/Greek Life retreat
Related posts: September Goals | Weekend Update


I started grad school in September! *cue hours of text book reading* I also was invited to attend the Fraternity and Sorority retreat! I'm not affiliated with any Greek organization and had never really had any sort of experience with Greek life, so it was so fun meeting students who are and learn more about their organizations! 


October
FINISHING A FREAKIN' MARATHON & BSU Homecoming
Related posts: First-Time Marathoner! | I DID IT!!! ING Hartford Marathon 2013 FINISHER! | Where in the World is Bristaco?: International Bear of Mystery


One of my biggest accomplishments of the year of my LIFE was this month - FINISHING THE HARTFORD MARATHON! I had always dreamed of crossing the finish line of a 26.2 mile race, and this year I actually accomplished that goal! I swear, 2 and a half months later, it still doesn't feel real. Guess I'll just have to run another... ;) BSU also put on their annual Homecoming this month - the first major event I worked as a GA! It was stressful but a lot of fun - my coworkers and students kept me sane!

November
NACA Northeast/Seeing Cabaret/Turkey Day & Black Friday with Brett
Related posts: Everyday Heroes | Life is a Cabaret, Old Chum! | Lately...


My first ever NACA conference was this month! Although I was sick practically the entire time, I really enjoyed myself. Lets hope that next year's conference I'll be healthy and ready to go! Also had some wonderful times seeing Dean's production of Cabaret (which has been my favorite Dean play I've seen so far) and hanging out with Brett & family for Thanksgiving and Black Friday's #operationTaylorSwift! :)


December
Finishing my first semester of grad school/LudaChristmas/Having one of the best Christmases ever!
Related posts: 25% | LudaChristmas 2013! | Happy


This month has been a wonderful finale to the year! I finished out my first semester of grad school with a 3.9 GPA, had an awesome Christmas party with lots of friends, and had one of the best Christmases ever with my family! Nothing to complain about at all. :)

2013, you've been one incredible year. 
I am so excited to see what 2014 has in store!

What are your most memorable moments of 2013?
Share them in the comments! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment