Friday, December 13, 2019

Training for Warm-Weather Races in a Cold Climate | Blogmas Day 13

Snow's a big headache but it sure is pretty!

We're at the point in the semester where our students are wrapped up in finals so our building and office are super quiet making me want to just goof off, but I still have so much to get done before I leave for break next week! I think between Thanksgiving break, and having both a snow day and 2 sick days last week, I was feeling super overwhelmed with everything I was behind on. Now that I've feeling more caught up, I'm trying to strike a healthy balance between working and distracting my colleagues during business hours. 😉 I am very thankful that it's Friday, though! This weekend will be super busy but I'm sure it will also be super fun.

Workouts on the calendar for this weekend are a 3 mile run + a lift tonight after work, a 14 mile long run tomorrow, and an additional phase 2 lift on Sunday that I definitely skipped yesterday (woops). One of the things I've been thinking a lot about recently is training for warm-climate races when I live in such a cold climate during the winter. I wonder if doing long runs outdoors is a smart move in the cold, when I need to be prepped to go long in the Louisiana, Florida, and California heat! As much as it sucks to spend hours upon hours on the treadmill, I think I'm going to opt to do my long runs indoors starting with 14 tomorrow. Any movie recommendations are welcome! 😂

The good news is that next weekend I'll actually be down in Florida and I have a 16 mile run on the schedule! I'm excited to find a good bike path and run in warm weather again. It will also be a good gauge to see if my body will be shocked with the change of climate or if it'll be an easier transition. This year's Florida Marathon back in February wasn't too bad, so I'm hoping it's somewhat similar for NOLA!

What are your warm weather racing tips? 🌞

No comments:

Post a Comment