Friday, December 21, 2018

Things I (Begrudgingly) Like About Winter | Blog Ahead #24

Blog Ahead #24
Originally written on October 26, 2018

It's no secret - I am not a fan of winter. I hate the cold. I hate the dark. I'm not the biggest fan of the holidays or the snow. There's just not a lot of appeal to winter for me, so I dread it each and every year. The day this post goes live is the first official day of winter, and lucky for me, I'll be on a plane headed south to Florida for the Holidays. Thanks, Mom & Dad! ;) But, because I spend so much time complaining about the winter, I thought I'd kick off this terrible season on a more positive note. I thought it'd be great to share the things that I actually like about the winter time, as few and far between as they may be. :P

Hot beverages

{source}

I love me a good hot beverage. Even though I'm a New Englander and will willingly drink an iced coffee when it's -12°, I love a toasty warm hot coffee in the morning. Hot vanilla lattes are probably my favorite coffee beverage, with hot apple cider being my favorite cold weather drink. I also can't say no to a good hot chocolate or hot toddy if I'm looking for an adult beverage! There's something so comforting about drinking something warm and feeling the warmth spread through your whole body.

Snow days

{source}

As much as I'm not a fan of dealing with the snow (shoveling, wiping off my car, getting stuck in my own driveway, etc.) there's something that's pretty magical about having a day stuck at home while you're getting snowed in. I work in the education field, meaning I still get snow days if the college I work at gets closed... pretty awesome! I love having an excuse to stay in jammies all day, make pancakes, and watch movies! Snow days are the best and even I can't argue that!

Football & hockey

{source}

{source}
Winter is the season that both of my favorite sports to watch are on all. the. time. I find football Sundays so cozy and watching hockey games so exciting that I definitely look forward to their seasons coming around each year. At least that's something that distracts from the face that it's winter time!

Sweaters & scarves

{source}

Not gonna lie, my winter uniform basically consists of sweater + scarf + black pants. Every damn day in the office. It makes getting dressed in the morning so much easier and so much cozier. You really can't resist a good cozy sweater + scarf combo!

Trying new recipes

{source}

I feel like winter is the time of year where I'm the most adventurous when it comes to cooking. I'm always on the hunt for new recipes for warm comfort foods to eat on cold, snowy afternoons. My slow cooker and I become best friends in the colder months, and I'm baking different things what seems like every weekend. It's actually so much fun, and so tasty!

What are your favorite things about winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment