Monday, December 24, 2018

Childhood Christmas Memories | Blog Ahead #27

Blog Ahead #27
Originally written on October 29, 2018

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! I hope that the folks that celebrate are enjoying their holiday and for those who don't that you're enjoying your Monday. :) As it's the day before Christmas, I wanted to share a list of some Christmas memories I have from my childhood with you all. It's always fun to reminisce on old times around this time of year and remember the moments and the people that make this holiday so special.

~When I was a kid, we would always bake cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve. We would usually do gingerbread cookies and we had these cookie cutters we would always use - a gingerbread man, a gingerbread woman, a bell, and a boot! The best part was when we'd get to decorate the cookies using frosting bags. It was so fun to be creative that way!

{source}

~Speaking of things we would leave out, we would also leave out carrots and celery for the reindeer, as well as notes for Santa! When we woke up in the morning, it was so magical to see the cookies and veggies eaten, and a reply from Santa himself! Sometimes he would even get one of the reindeer to leave a hoof print at the bottom of our note! I so wish I had an example to show you all because it really was so amazing to experience that as a kid!

~When the internet became a bigger part of our life, my dad found us the NORAD Santa Tracker which was just about the coolest thing ever to look at as a kid. It would track Santa's Christmas Eve flight so you could see when he was in different parts of the world and even how many gifts he had distributed thus far. This is such a fond memory of mine that I often still do this from year to year, just to check in. ;)

{source}

~The Nightmare Before Christmas was my sister and I's go-to Christmas movie each year. I will argue to the death that this is much more a Christmas movie than a Halloween movie, mainly because that's the memories I have attached to it. I will always have a soft spot for Jack Skellington and his crew! Other favorite childhood Christmas movies include Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (both the animated and Jim Carrey versions.

~One of the most memorable Christmas gifts I ever received were these purple sleds that were given to both me and my sister. I don't know why those always stand out the most to me for Christmas gifts. I want to say it snowed the Christmas and we were able to go sledding on the hill behind our house that same day. Whatever it was that has stuck those sleds in my memory, I don't think I'll ever forget them!

~There's a funny Christmas tradition that we've developed over the years, but I'm fairly certain it started when I was a kid. We've always had a dog in our family, and on Christmas morning while we open gifts we would usually take the adhesive bows on the gifts and stick them on whichever dog is closest, to various degrees of success. Mostly they ignore them and sometimes they're shaken off, but it's always so cute and quite entertaining.


There are so many other memories I can think of, but I think I'll save those for future years. :) 

I hope you all enjoy your Christmas and make lots of new memories this holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment