Thursday, December 27, 2018

Hygge | Blog Ahead #28

Blog Ahead #28
Originally written on October 29, 2018

I feel like the holiday season is such a whirlwind and before we know it we're setting our goals for the new year and settling in for a long, cold winter. One of the things that has been getting me through the last couple of winters is a Danish concept that is known as hygge.

"Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment."

While there isn't a direct translation into English, hygge is the idea and feeling of being cozy and comfortable. I don't think anyone can say they dislike being cozy (if you dislike being cozy, I'd love to pick your brain :P), so I thought it would be fun to collect some of my favorite hygge things on today's Blog Ahead post to remind myself the the cold months don't have to be *all* bad. ;)

{source}

~Warming up next to a heater or a fire after being outside in the cold for a while

~Being surrounded with fuzzy blankets

~Burning scented candles

~The smell of a delicious warm snack baking in the oven while watching a football game with friends

~Holding a nice hot mug of cocoa, coffee, or hot cider in my cold hands

~Turning off all the lamps and lighting a room with candles and fairy lights

~Baking all day and enjoying your creations with your friends

~Harry Potter... the books and the movies are the embodiment of hygge for me!

~Wearing fuzzy socks & slippers around the house

~Reading a good book while the snow is falling

~Puppy snuggles

What are the things that make you feel hygge?

No comments:

Post a Comment