Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas Traditions I Wish We Had in the States | Blog Ahead #26

Blog Ahead #26
Originally written on October 26, 2018

I really like to learn about unique Christmas traditions, whether those are traditions that happen in different households or from around the world! The US is unique in a way that there's many different holiday traditions based on different family heritage. Most of the people who live in this country have family members in the ancestry that were immigrants from different countries, so that definitely has had some influence in the way we celebrate here. For today's post, I wanted to do some research on some traditions that I would love to see come to the States, and maybe adopt into my own practice! ;)

Rollerblading (Venezuela)

{source}

This is so much fun! In many parts of Venezuela, folks roller blade to Christmas mass. It's so popular in some communities that roads get closed down to make it easier and safer for roller bladers. What a fun and unique activity for folks to take part in on a special day of the year!

Jolabokaflod (Iceland)

{source}

This, for obvious reasons, is my favorite of Christmas traditions around the world. In Iceland, folks will gift each other a book on Christmas Eve and the idea is that you will read the book all night until Christmas morning, getting cozy, reading, and eating chocolate!

Christmas crackers (United Kingdom)

{source}

I've always been so intrigued by the idea of Christmas crackers - a little Christmas treat at your holiday dinner! I don't know why that isn't something that Americans have adopted from our UK pals, but I'm totally on board for stealing this idea from them! ;)

Advent Calendars (Switzerland)

{source}

I love the idea of advent calendars! These aren't the most popular things in the US (some folks do calendars with really bad chocolate in them that you can buy at the grocery store), but in Switzerland and other parts of Europe, folks will buy or make advent calendars to be opened each day leading up to Christmas day. Brett and I got into this tradition last year and I absolutely love it. It's so fun to have a little festive activity to do each day leading up to Christmas!

Treats & sweets instead of gifts (India)

Coconut burfi - an Indian sweet that is traditionally made for Diwali & Christmas.
{source}

In India, folks will give each other treats and candy in lieu of gifts. As I've gotten older I've realized that the pressure of gift giving an receiving is more stressful than fun, so something like this I can totally get behind!

Spread happiness and love (Japan)

{source}

I also love the idea that in Japan, Christmas is more of a celebration to spread happiness and love than a religious holiday. Christmas Eve is even considered to be Japan's biggest date night, surpassing Valentine's Day! I am not particularly religious myself and celebrate Christmas more for the tradition than anything else, so incorporating the idea of spreading love and happiness is something I would love to be more of a focus here in the States.

What Christmas traditions do you wish you had in your part of the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment