Friday, August 2, 2019

Staycation Wish List (BEDA Day 2)

It's my first official day of vacation! 


I was lucky enough to find some time before the start of the new school year to disconnect from work and I currently have *no plans* (besides a race that I'm signed up for tomorrow, but other than that NO PLANS!). I am very excited to have a staycation, and also a little nervous because I tend to spiral mentally when I have nothing on my plate to accomplish. I thought it might be good to make some really loose plans for myself throughout the week so I have a reason to stay occupied.

I considered naming this post "Vacation Goals" or "Vacation To-Dos" but for some reason that felt way too tasky and filled with pressure. I'm generally a goals-oriented person and like to check things off of a list as I complete them, but given my current mental state and my severe need to take the pressure off of myself, I thought giving myself a to-do list might feel too overwhelming for me at the moment. However, framing these as a "Wish List", or things I would like to get done but won't beat myself up about, might make me feel less pressured and more motivated to get them done. So, without further adieu, here is my wish list for my staycation!

1. Get a haircut: It's been - no joke - an entire YEAR since I've cut my hair and it is in desperate need for a snip.
2. Get my new glasses: I ordered them a few weeks ago and I'm hoping they're ready soon!
3. Get an oil change for my car: Something that is, again, long overdue.
4. Finish the hat I'm knitting: It's my first ever knitted hat project and it's been lovely to create something with my hands again!
5. Journal daily in the mornings: I've heard about the benefits of doing morning pages for years and I've always been intrigued. I'd thought I'd try this out for myself during these 10 days I have off.
6. Do a beach day: I haven't done a proper beach day all summer, and I definitely want to try and fit one in this week.
7. Exercise daily: I will have my regular training runs I will need to complete throughout the week for Newport, but on my off days I want to make an honest effort to do yoga, weights, or a minimum 30 minute walk
8. Finish two books: Theoretically I can finish MANY more, but I'm going to set my goal at two. I think that will feel totally manageable this week and keep in my theme of a low-pressure approach to life and give my mind a break.
9. Finally beat Let's Go Pikachu!: I've been halfway through this game on the Switch for MONTHS because I've been putting other hobbies ahead of it. I'd like to prioritize this game a bit and see if I can get a good chunk of the way through it, and potentially beat it! :)

And I think that's where I'm going to stop assigning myself things (though I am REALLY tempted to add more things to the list)! Hopefully this vacation will be a really restorative one and I will come out feeling so much better mentally and emotionally. I feel like I've just been neglecting myself for so long and I really need to stop doing that. I'm hoping that this week will help me relearn to focus on myself and I can bring these good practices into the new academic year.

No comments:

Post a Comment