Thursday, January 9, 2014

Blogging vs. Vlogging

I've recently gotten back into vlogging. I know I've mentioned in a previous post that I am *much* more comfortable hiding behind a keyboard and documenting my life in that way, but I've always been interested in video blogging and capturing my life through film. On December 30th, I started vlogging again on a whim and have posted a video each day since then. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm still pretty awkward and nervous about it, especially recording around other people, as daily vlogging isn't really a well-known concept. I'm sure I'll become more confident as time goes on, though!

Even though I've really been having a ton of fun vlogging, editing, and posting my videos, I'm still in love with writing a blog (I don't think I'll ever not love blogging!), so today I wanted to break down the pros and cons to both blogging AND vlogging.


Blogging gives you an opportunity to really reflect on experiences you have and think about them critically as you're typing. Vlogging doesn't allow you to do so to the same extent, as you're recording while simultaneously going through different experiences.

Vlogging helps you capture the moments that words and still photographs may not be able to.

Blogging is a bit more mainstream and widely accepted as a hobby, while vlogging can come off as a little strange. "Why are you filming yourself doing that? Why are you talking to a camera? Why would you want to share your life on YouTube?"

Vlogs are easy and fun to look back on - kind of like old home videos. Not saying that blog posts aren't fun to look back on, but I feel like going on a stroll down memory lane is a lot better when you can see the sights and hear the sounds of the moments you're reminiscing!

Blog posts take less time and effort to produce, in the grand scheme of things. If you want to write a post, all you have to do is type your little heart out then hit post. Vlogs have a lot more production time behind them - filming, editing, compressing, uploading, and then writing all of the information that needs to go along with it. Vlogging is hard work!

But, because it is such a challenge, vlogging has the chance of being more rewarding. When you put so much time and effort into a video and actually produce something that you're really proud of, all of that time and effort becomes worth it. (The same can go for blog posts, though!)

For both blogging AND vlogging, the communities are *awesome*. When someone comments on a video or post that I put a lot of time and effort into, I feel really great about myself, and that people out there actually like (or are seeing, at the very least) what I'm taking the time to create. I love watching other people's videos, reading other people's blogs, and just interact with so many people out there who have the same common interest as me - documenting my life and sharing it with the world!

...

Because I've been on such a vlogging kick, I put a section in the sidebar for my latest daily vlog for all of you to easily access. Check back daily for the new video (or subscribe to my channel!).

I hope this post was helpful, and maybe has convinced you that vlogging could be a potential new hobby for you, too! (Especially for my fellow bloggers out there!)

No comments:

Post a Comment