Friday, August 4, 2017

#TheReadingQuest!

GUYS I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS READING CHALLENGE!
Between August 13th and September 10th, I will be taking part in...


All of the beautiful artwork you see in this post is done by CW at Read, Think, Ponder! *heart eyes emoji*

#TheReadingQuest was created by Read at Midnight and I am SO PUMPED to be taking part in this challenge. Read at Midnight has done a few of these really fun reading challenges in the past and I feel like I always miss them and they always seem so fun and unique. I'm excited I was able to find out about this challenge in time and I am PUMPED to participate!

This is a reading challenge that takes place over the course of 4 weeks. You must pick a character and complete that character's path on the bingo board (above) by reading a book that matches the challenges on the path. The aim is to get your character as many Experience Points (EXP) as possibles, level up, and complete its quest. For each book you complete, you will receive +10EXP, unless it is a graphic novel, which you will receive +5EXP. If your book is written by a marginalized author, you will receive +20EXP.

Your character also earns Health Points (HP) which correlates with the number of pages that you read. You receive +1HP for every 10 pages you read unless it's a graphic novel, which you will receive +1HP for every 20 pages you read. You can also earn HP by posting on social media using the #TheReadingQuest. Make sure you check out the sign up post to see detailed instructions on every way you can earn HP.

Additionally, there are side quests you can take on at anytime which are located in the middle of the board. I will definitely be reading to complete quite a few side quests and I love that they have included these to complete while you're working on your character path. These quest are fairly random and can be fulfilled with a lot of different types of books, so I definitely have a few of these in mind that I would like to attempt.


You might be wondering what character path I'm planning to take on. Well, because I always want to feel a bit ~magical~, I'm going to be going down the path of the Mage! Not only does the idea of the Mage really capture my attention, I really liked the challenges on the Mage's path and was excited to build a TBR surrounding the character. That will be the character I am playing with during this challenge and I am so excited to see how well she does! Keep scrolling to see what my TBR for this challenge!



MAGE PATH

A book with a one-word title: Walkaway by Cory Doctorow
A book that contains magic: Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling, Illustrated by Jim Kay
A book based on mythology: Tales of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn Green
A book set in a different world: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness*
The first book of a series: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

SIDE QUESTS

POTIONS - A book concocted by 2+ authors: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
MULTIPLAYER - Buddy Read a Book: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
GRIND - A book with 500+ pages: Winter by Marissa Meyer
TIME WARP - A book set in either the past or the future: The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead*
OPEN WORLD - Read whatever you want: We Are Okay by Nina LaCour*
MINI GAME - Read a graphic novel, novella, or poem collection: Barefoot Gen by Keiji Nakazawa* (volume 1 or 2, depending where I am when the challenge starts)
ANIMAL COMPANION - A book referencing an animal in the title: Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rivka Brunt

*written by a marginalized author, +20EXP if completed


For a lot of these challenges, I was able to choose books that I was already planning on reading in the near future/are on current or upcoming monthly or readathon TBRs, so it really worked out nicely! I am excited to get to so many of these books. A lot of them have been waiting patiently on my shelf for over a year so it will be great to finally read them! :)

I am planning to do weekly updates of my progress here on the blog, as well as weekly vlogs of my experience of taking on this challenge, so be on the lookout for those! I am SO PUMPED for this challenge and I hope you are able to join in as well! See you all in a few weeks with my first update!

Shout out to Read at Midnight for this amazing challenge and to CW at Read, Think, Ponder for the adorable artwork!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. I just created my post and plan to participate as well. I used a bit of your formatting and mentioned your blog too! http://bonkersforpapercrafting.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-reading-quest-reading-game-read-thon.html

    ReplyDelete