Friday, January 10, 2020

Friday Reads // 1.10.2020

Happy Friday, peeps! It's been a long-ass week. The first full week back after break is always a struggle, but you gotta re-acclimate to the routine at some point. Luckily things are pretty mellow for me at the moment, and even though I've been struggling with wanting to do ALL THE THINGS, I'm trying to embrace this downtime while I have it as it definitely won't last. 😂 Aside from a 20 mile long run I have scheduled for tomorrow (😳), there really isn't a ton going on this weekend. I do hope that it can be somewhat of a big reading weekend for me, so I thought I'd share what books I'm hoping to get to over these next three days.


Talking to Strangers by Malcolm Gladwell - I've been reading this book since November and I honestly have no idea why I put it down. I asked Twitter earlier this week if I should start a new book or continue reading a "currently reading" book for my next read, and folks voted to continue reading a "currently reading title". I picked this back up yesterday morning and immediately fell back into the narrative. I'm not sure if I'm just craving non-fiction lately or if this book is just going to become a favorite of mine (maybe both?) but I'm excited to continue on with this title and hopefully finish it early on this weekend.

The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi - It is extremely coincidental that the month that I put this title on my TBR that the US is all of the sudden in majorly scary conflict with Iran. I bumped this title up to the top of my list because I feel like it's important to try to understand cultures and people that might be getting painted as "the enemy" in the media. I really don't know much about Iranian culture but I hope reading a graphic memoir about an Iranian family will help present a different perspective.


Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano - This is my BOTM December Box pick, and I wanted to make sure I was getting this started before we got too deep into the month as it's one of my goals for 2020 to read from my most recent BOTM box each month! From what I've heard, this is a really heart wrenching novel about a young boy who is the sole survivor of a plane crash and his journey to deal with the loss of everything while captivating the entire nation. I feel like this book with be a gut-punch and I am so intrigued to pick it up and start reading. 

Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch - Since all of the other books on this list are extremely serious and sometimes sad, I really needed to incorporate a light-hearted YA contemporary to the mix! I've been utilizing OverDrive a bunch to take out audiobooks from the library, and when I saw that Love & Luck was available (sequel to the super cute Love & Gelato), I knew I had to snap it up. I'm going to definitely start listening to this on my commute home tonight, and likely listen to a bunch of the story during my long run tomorrow!

What are you reading this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. I really loved Persepolis when I got it from the library a year or two ago, and I picked up a cheap copy last week.

    Talking to Strangers looks really interesting too - I'm going to see if my library has it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some heavy reading you have planned there. I'm interested in hearing what you think of Dear Edward. I almost picked that one.

    ReplyDelete