Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Read-cap 2015

As you all know, one of my favorite things to do in my down time is read. Down time is a little harder for me to find these days, but it's still a hobby I cherish - there is really no better way to relax than to get lost in a great story! Because it's the end of the year and the time to look back and see what you have accomplished in the last 365 days. I thought I would take a moment and round up all of the books that I finished in 2015! Some of these I have reviewed here on the blog, some of them I haven't, but I'll give my overall impression of each in two sentences or less to give you and idea of my thoughts!

Hard Copies

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson
Book one of the Millenium Series (TW: Violence Sexual Assault & Rape) 
Took me a while to finish this book and it's sometimes hard to read, but fascinating nonetheless.

Yes Please by Amy Poehler
Finished this in two days! Written by one of my favorite comediennes, Poehler shares her life and experiences that inspires you and makes you laugh.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
This was probably my favorite book I read in 2015. Super-smart middle schooler wants to go to Antarctica and ends up finding much more than penguins and glaciers.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed
Lost in her mid-twenties, Strayed takes on a challenge she would have never imagined taking before. This book will motivate you to be adventurous and remind you that you can accomplish anything that you really work for. (I talk about it a bit in my Spring Favorites post.)

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari
Another one of my favorite comedians tackles the topic of dating in the twenty-first century. Though this book is indeed hilarious, it's thought-provoking as well! (Check out my review here.)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
An amazing story from an amazing perspective. This book sucks you right into Mississippi in the sixties and is extremely relevant to our world today. (Check out my review here.)

1984 by George Orwell
A literary classic that is eerily relevant to today's society. Orwell hits the nose on the head with how easy it is to fall right in line with society and the risk of fearing and rejecting diversity.(Check out my review here.)

E-Books

We Should Hang Out Sometime by Josh Sundquist
A quirky and fun memoir of dating misadventures. This title is so easy to relate to and a very entertaining read! (I talk about it a bit in my Summer Favorites post.)

Love, Life, and Elephants: An African Love Story by Dame Daphne Sheldrick
An interesting look into the world of animal rehabilitation and the relationships Sheldrick built in her lives with both humans and animals. This book can be very, very sad - just a fair warning! (Check out my review here.)

Audio Books

Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison
Madison recounts her time living in the Playboy Mansion and being girlfriend #1 to Hugh Hefner. This story goes to show that outward appearances often don't match the truth.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
Another fun memoir from another funny woman. This is more of a collection of essays that a cohesive story, but it waslots of fun to listen along to!

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson
Book two in the Millenium Series (TW: Violence, Sexual Assault & Rape) 
I still don't think I've processed the story all the way through, but I think it was an interesting continuation of the series. I'm not entirely sure if I will continue the series yet.

What were your favorite books of 2015?
What books are you excited to read or listen to in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment