Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful in 2013


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Thanksgiving this year is a little bit different for me. I'm spending it away from my family for only the second time in my life (the first time was when I was abroad in London in 2010), but I am spending it with Brett and his family which I'm sure is going to be great! One thing I always make sure I do, whether or not I'm home, is reflect on what I'm thankful for. (That's the whole purpose of the holiday right?) It's easy to get caught up in the negatives and the things that frustrate you on a daily basis, but it's so important to be aware that no matter how bad things seem, they could always be worse. Today is the perfect day to be Thankful for what you do have instead of focusing on what you don't. I thought I'd share with you what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving!

Everyone I know and love is healthy and well. The day of the marathon bombings was terrifying. Knowing that my students and friends were in the city near the site of the attacks was absolutely the scariest moment of the year. I am beyond grateful that everyone I know was okay and we all made it safely home, and continued to be safe throughout that crazy week.We are all extremely fortunate to have been so close to a scary situation and to come out unharmed.

My jobs at BSU and Dean. It's obvious that I would be thankful for them because they put money in my pocket and a roof over my head, but really, it's so much more than that. For the first time in my working life, I'm really happy to go to work every day. I'm interacting with some pretty incredible young adults on a daily basis and I learn something new about myself as a professional each and every day. I'm excited to read up and discuss issues in my field, and although it can be extremely stressful and difficult at times, my life in the student affairs field is so rewarding. I'm meeting new people and given so many new opportunities time and time again, and I don't think I would have gotten that anywhere else. I'm so happy I found a career path that is the right fit for me! :)

Having people to rely on. No matter where I am in life, I know that I have someone to turn to. Though I couldn't make it home for Thanksgiving this year, Brett and his family opened up their home to me. If I'm ever feeling overwhelmed, my family is just a phone call away ready with a listening ear. If I'm ever having a bad day, just spending 5 minutes with a student will make it all melt away (even though they may not realize it!). I have people all around me that will catch me when I fall, and I am so grateful for that.

What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment