Sunday, August 2, 2020

The Final NEWTs TBR 🦎✨ // #magicalreadathon2020

It's August which means it's time for round 2 of the Magical Readathon! Before I get into my TBR for the NEWTs, I want to acknowledge that a *lot* has happened in the HP fandom since the OWLs in April, particularly with JKR being extremely transphobic. G, the host of the Magical Readathon, has been extremely thoughtful in her decision to conclude this year's round by still running NEWTs and officially retiring its affiliation with HP after this round. You can listen to her reasoning in this video. I really do commend her for being so thoughtful during this extremely difficult and disappointing situation, and I appreciate the effort that she's putting forth for the Magical Readathon community.

I also want to share this resource on keeping our love of Harry Potter alive while distancing ourselves from the author. For lifelong HP fans like myself, I hope you find this resource helpful in moving forward.


For this final round of NEWTs, I will be continuing my pursuit to become a Hogwarts Professor that I began in April! As a reminder, I am hoping to specifically become a Care of Magical Creatures professor, which does influence my TBR a bit. Here's what the NEWTs requirements for becoming a Hogwarts Professor are:

Achieve an "Outstanding" in the subject that you wish to teach 
(For me that's Care of Magical Creatures!)
Achieve an "Exceeds Expectations" in Defense Against the Dark Arts
Achieve an "Acceptable" in secondary subjects of your choice

For those who need a reminder, you need to read 3 books in a subject to achieve "Outstanding", two books to achieve "Exceeds Expectations", and one book to achieve "Acceptable". You also have to read the books in order of the grade levels and you cannot skip around. For example, for my Care of Magical Creatures exam, I have to read the book for the "Acceptable" challenge, then the book for the "Exceeds Expectations" challenge, then I'll be allowed to read the book for the "Outstanding" challenge.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, here's what I need to read for NEWTs to officially become a Hogwarts Professor!

CARE OF MAGICAL CREATURES

ACCEPTABLE LEVEL
Salamander: Read a book with fire on the cover or in the title


Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett (421 pages)

EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS LEVEL
Flobberworm: Lazy is fine! Read something short


In An Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire (204 pages)

OUTSTANDING LEVEL
Hagrid's Hut: Start a book with a snack


Goodbye, Paris by Anstey Harris (279 pages)

DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS

ACCEPTABLE LEVEL
Boggart: Read a horror/thriller


Thinner by Stephen King (318 pages)

EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS LEVEL
Kappas: Water demon! Read a book with demons or a water theme


Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman (384 pages)

DIVINATION
Secondary subject #1

ACCEPTABLE LEVEL
"Take the red cup, dear.": Read a book with a red cover


Dominicana by Angie Cruz (323 pages)

HERBOLOGY
Secondary subject #2

ACCEPTABLE LEVEL
Puffapods: Read a book with flowers on the cover


Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender (368 pages)
 
I'm really excited for a great month of reading. My plan is to weekly vlog and update my reading at the end of the week as I normally do, but I plan to do an end-of-week reading update specifically for NEWTs here on the blog. I really enjoyed doing blog updates throughout the Reading Rush so I'd like to do that throughout the month of August as well to help keep myself on track! I hope you all have a great reading month, whether or not you're participating in NEWTs! 💖 

No comments:

Post a Comment