Monday, July 8, 2019

Newport Marathon Training - Week 2 // July 1-7

July 1 - Day 8
Rest day!

July 2 - Day 9
Workout: 5 miles (1m jog, 3m at half marathon pace - approx 30 mins, then 1m jog)
Actual: 5.06 miles total (1mi jog at 4.5mph, 3mi @ designated pace above, 1mi jog at 4mph, then .06 mi cool down walk)

This workout was challenging but actually pretty fun! I enjoy having the tough 10min/mi pace sandwiched in between two jogging miles. I think a lot of my mid-distance workouts will be like this during the training cycle so I'm excited to do more!

July 3 - Day 10
Workout: 4 miles steady (Approximately 11 mins/mile, complete in 44 minutes)
Actual: 4mi @ 43:50 (10:56 pace), 5min cool down walk, 4.27mi total

Decided to get my Day 11 workout in a day early so I could enjoy my 4th of July! Hitting pace goals on the treadmill has been challenging but I've been achieving them so far. I think being on the treadmill and forcing myself to maintain these paces will make me a better and faster runner.

July 4 - Day 11
Rest day!

July 5 - Day 12
Rest day!

July 6 - Day 13
Workout: 3 mile incline hill session
Actual: 3mi @ 33:09 (11:03/mi) neighborhood run

We were dealing with car troubles on this day so I couldn't get out to the gym to do incline on the treadmill, so I decided to just run around the neighborhood. I woke up early (left the house before 5am!) to get this run in, thinking it would save me a bit from the heat, but the humidity was already at 90% making it difficult to breathe and slog through the miles. I know that training in the weather will help me rock the miles in the cooler temps in the fall, but it sucks in the moment!

This was before 5:30am. BEFORE!

Trying to keep a smile on my face after drowning in the humidity!


July 7 - Day 14
Workout: 8 miles easy run/walk, approximately 11:30/mi, finish in 90 minutes.
Actual: 8.47 miles in 1:40:36 (8mi @ 11:19 pace, .47 mi cool down walk)

I get super nervous about running long distances when it's as hot and sunny as it was over the weekend, so I opted to go for a treadmill run instead of an outdoor run for this workout (hence why I couldn't get splits for this run!) I felt good for the first 6ish miles of this run and then my legs started to really feel it and pushing through was challenging! I'm not sure if it's because I'm really pushing myself hard for this training cycle or it's because it's been a while since I've run this consistently, but usually my legs don't give me grief during this kind of distance! I'm sure it's just body adjustments and that future long runs will feel easier as we move through training. 😊

Week 2 Thoughts

Another successful week of training! The treadmill has become my best friend in these hot and humid temperatures, but it's forcing me to be more disciplined in my pacing. I have noticed some sharp pain in my right foot and the bottom of both of my heels, as well as some Achilles soreness, and I'm assuming that means it's time for me to invest in some new shoes. 😪 I'm perusing the Brooks site to figure out what I want next. I'm loving my Adrenalines so I think I'll stick with those, but we'll see. Hopefully I'll have a new pair of shoes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment