Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Newport Marathon Training - Week 1 // June 24-30

June 24 - Day 1 
Workout: 3 miles @ 11:30 average pace (35:00)
Actual: 3.00mi @ 12:26 average pace (37:22)

I ran on a new route nearby Brett's work after dropping him off so I could get my run in early and shower before heading to the office. You never realize how hilly an area is until you run in that area and holy moly - it is HILLY! I managed to find a quiet residential road to run down (and then up) and was passed by a slew of cyclists going up the hill (they are rock stars). It was a nice, clear, cool morning (high 60s) and although my legs felt like 100,000 lbs, it was a great start to training! A bit off the target pace but I'll chalk that up to the hills and definitely not because I haven't been consistently training for nearly 3 months. 😉

June 25 - Day 2
Rest day!

June 26 - Day 3
Workout: 4 miles @ 11:00 average pace (44:00)
Actual: 4 miles in 43:52, 5 minute cool down walk (4.21 total miles)

Treadmill workout! I think for a lot of these work outs with target paces I'm going to need to utilize a combination of outdoor runs and treadmills runs. I've found that I've forgotten what a 11:00/mi pace feels like. Getting my but on a treadmill forces me to run as fast as the treadmill is going. It's way to easy for me to ease up on a road run when I should really be pushing myself through these training runs!

June 27 - Day 4
Rest day!

June 28 - Day 5
Workout: 8 miles easy @ 11:30 average pace (1:30:00)
Actual: 8.02mi @ 1:28:06 (10:59 average pace)


Apparently I felt really good for the majority of this run! I got up early to beat the heat, but the sun popped out on my way back and slowed me down a bit on my last 4 miles. I pushed the pace (which I probably shouldn't really do...) and felt great for the most part and was just happy to be running a longer distance again.

1. 11:01
2. 10:31
3. 10:26
4. 10:42
5. 10:59
6. 11:32
7. 11:17
8. 11:20


June 29 - Day 6
Workout: 3 miles of incline
Actual: 3 miles of incline on the treadmill @ 50:00 minutes

This is a workout that I'm not used to and will need to figure out throughout the training cycle. I walked at a 2.5 pace on an 8.0 incline for a few minutes while I chatted with my friend Kristen who was in town and came to the gym with me, and then when she left to go do weights, I dropped the incline to 6.0 and brought the speed up to 4.5. This proved to be waaaay too difficult so I played around with the speed and incline throughout the entire run. It was really inconsistent and something that will need to be practiced!

June 30 - Day 7
Rest day!

Week 1 Thoughts

I'm really proud of myself for sticking to all of the workouts this week! I had to adjust my schedule a bit because we had friends in town over the weekend. I'll typically do my long run on Sunday but I wanted to make sure I spent time with them while they were visiting so I pushed it up by a couple days! Overall I felt good for how out of shape I am. Don't get me wrong, I definitely felt the exhaustion in my legs through most of these workouts, but it's good to be back and I'm hoping that I can keep myself disciplined throughout this cycle and see some results as we progress through the training program!

No comments:

Post a Comment