Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Fall 2015 Race Preview

Oh, hello there September!

I've finally been getting into more of a routine in my life which is so nice after all the craziness of the summer. It's a goal of mine to get back into regular racing that I was able to do before last fall (when I started working three jobs in addition to grad school) so I've been building up my fall race schedule and I thought I'd share it with you all! 

You'll notice that these are almost all long-distance races. I've found over the past two years that right after I run a marathon I really slack in the running department, and every year it's been harder to get myself back into running shape. I'm hoping to do a spring marathon in 2016, so in order to keep myself on top of training, I thought it would be best to sign up for more half marathons instead of shorter distance races. Hopefully this technique works out!


Maine Marathon
October 4th - Portland, ME

I've already shared this, but I'll be running the Maine Marathon in Portland on October 4th. This will be my third marathon and I'm really excited to run in such a beautiful area! I'm nervous about how much my training will pay off - if I'm being honest I haven't been on top of my training as I would have liked to be this summer - but race day always makes things more fun and motivating, so hopefully I can count on that a bit to get me through.

B.A.A. Half Marathon
October 11th - Boston, MA

I've been wanting to do a B.A.A. race for a while, but they're often tough to get into because popularity is high and the field is limited. This year Louie made sure I was well aware of when registration opened for the half in the summer, and I was able to get into the race! This race is actually exactly a week after the Maine Marathon so I feel like it can either be a really tough race due to leg soreness from the marathon, or it can be a really easy race in comparison to the marathon. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!


Crescent Classic 5K
October 18th - Bridgewater, MA

One of my former students and friends, Shannon, has been trying to get me to run this race for a while, and this year it worked out that I'm going to be able to commit to it! The Crescent classic benefits the philanthropies of Gamma Phi Beta - always a plus to run for charity. This race will make it 3 weeks in a row of races, but since this is a 5K it will be giving my legs a tiny bit of a break.  It will also be great to visit the BSU campus and see some of my favorite people!



Colt State Park Half Marathon
November 8th - Bristol, RI

In search of a November half that wasn't too close to the Thanksgiving holiday, I came across the Colt State Park Half Marathon in Rhode Island. This race is done by the same company that puts on the Wolf Hollow Half Marathon which I ran last year and really enjoyed, so I'm hoping that this one is just as awesome. PLUS Bristol is a beautiful area to run in, so win-win!



Jingle Bell Half Marathon 
December 12th - Atkinson, NH

My final race of the year will be the Jingle Bell Half Marathon. I wanted to run this race last year but my crazy schedule made it very easy for me to forget to register in time, so I thought I'd give it a shot this year! I love themed runs, and holiday runs are a fun way to get into the holiday spirit. In 2013 I ran the YuKan Half MerryThon and so many people rocked ugly Christmas sweaters (including me) which is so much fun, so I definitely plan on doing that during this race as well!

Are you running any races this fall? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment