Monday, March 10, 2014

Getting Back on Track

Hello, lovely readers!

It's finally spring break, and I couldn't be happier. I feel like this break has been needed more than any other break that has ever been on my academic calendar. The beginning of this semester was rough - personally, professionally, educationally... EVERYTHING. I feel like I fell so far behind from where I should be in all of those aspects, so I'm thrilled that I finally have the chance to play some catch up.

I've thought about it, and here's what I need to do this week in order to get back on track:


1. Practice positive thinking. I've been getting down on myself so much these last few months. I don't know what it is, but I've been letting myself slip into these really low confidence states of mind, and I really need to cut it out. I've been perusing the quotes section of Pinterest lately for a bit of daily motivation and it's helped, even if it's just by a little bit. (And I've also been watching a LOT of Parks & Rec lately, and Chris Traeger has become my new role model.)


2. Get back on my exercise game. Not having a whole lot of spare time in my schedule has allowed me to make the excuse to not work out. My view on exercise has shifted a little bit since completing my first marathon in October. To be honest, I was feeling a little lost not basing my entire exercise routine around a 6+ mile run. Now, I'm focusing more on strengthening my upper body and core in addition to running 1.5 - 3 miles each time I work out, as well as incorporating some impromptu stretching throughout the day. It's been a tough transition, but it's something I'm finally starting to feel comfortable with.

3. Catch up on school work. With all that I have going on with my assistantship and RD position, it can sometimes be easy to forget that there's more to grad school than professional development and attending class. Though I haven't missed any assignments, I've definitely procrastinated on a lot of my reading and larger projects that could use a jump-start. I'm hoping to use my free time this week to catch up on work before the whirlwind that is the second half of spring semester begins!

4. Keep my apartment organized. Since I spend a lot of time at home by myself now, it's pretty easy to just let my personal space turn into a giant pigsty. Keeping things organized will give me less to worry about when I make it home at the end of the day, and will give me a nice relaxing space to focus on item #3.

5. Stop worrying about the things I can't control. Let's be honest here - I have never been good at this. For those of you who are familiar with StrengthsFinder, Restorative (one who thrives on solving difficult problems) is my #2 strength. Though it's often great to have this as a top 5 strength, it's also very difficult for me to set any problems I'm having aside and focus on other things. When I'm going through a difficult situation, it's all I think about until it's resolved. Trying to let things that I can't control resolve themselves is something I'm constantly struggling with, but it's something I want to continue to work on.

There is SO MUCH lined up on my schedule for after spring break, so hopefully this week will allow me to get my life back on track a bit. 
What do you do to get back on track?

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I nominated your blog for the Leibster Award
    http://pieceofthenet.blogspot.co.uk/
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will be making a video of all of my Leibster nominations and will be posting it in a few weeks - keep an eye out!

      Delete