Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful in 2016

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Let's face it - this year has been rough - very, VERY rough - for a lot of people. That's what makes it extra important to take the time to be thankful and grateful of all the things that I have in my life. I have many things to be thankful for in my life this year and what better time than Thanksgiving to share those things with you?

I'm thankful for...

My friends, colleagues, and students that are constantly challenging me intellectually, encouraging me to engage politically, and being genuinely awesome people that I can learn from each and everyday. Ever since I started working at Mount Holyoke I've become much more politically engaged and much more focused on issues of injustice and oppression, which of course has become exacerbated by the narrative of this past election cycle, the acts of hate committed since the results of the election, and human rights violations happening right in our faces without much opposition to those that are in positions of privilege. I have become increasingly confident in my political views and have been developing my political voice and while I never considered myself to be a political person before this year I'm continuing to realize each day the importance of political involvement in order to shape the country in a positive way. I have my friends, colleagues, and students to thank for that and I am eternally grateful for them.

My family and Brett for being a constant source of support and love throughout the year (and always). This goes without saying but it is ALWAYS important to say it - my family and my partner are unwavering sources of support for me through good times and bad times. I am very fortunate to have the comfort of knowing that these people are always there for me for whatever I need help with. I never have to feel lost or alone all that long with my parents, sister, and Brett by my side and it's important for me to acknowledge how thankful I am for them.

The discovery of BookTube and throwing myself back into my love of reading. After grad school, I admit that I was feeling a bit lost, a bit off, a bit not like myself. It was this summer that I realized what was missing - books. I was able to read for fun during undergrad but when I started graduate school reading for fun was put on the back burner. I've always read here and there but this summer when I discovered the online bookish community, readathons, and so many great titles that I had never heard of before, I kicked up my reading to another level and it has felt awesome. I am so happy I am back in he groove of reading regularly and it honestly feels like I've rediscovered a piece of myself that I forgot that I was missing.

Advancing professionally and feeling comfortable and secure enough financially for a change. This year I was promoted to a 12-month position at Mount Holyoke, I moved in to a smaller place, and kind of hit a groove in my financial balance for the first time ever. I can save money without feeling like I'm struggling for a change. Just this week I was able to do simple things like get a haircut and get my car's oil changed without feeling like it totally has broken the bank and I can't think of a time when it hasn't felt that way. I am so happy that I'm finally starting to feel more comfortable financially and I'm looking forward to continuing to move in this direction.

The home and life Brett and I are building for ourselves. While we definitely aren't in the situation we want to be in forever, I am so thankful that Brett and I have found a way to live together, to continue to build our lives together, and really just be happy together no matter how much or how little we have. We constantly are reminded how lucky we are that we get to see each other each day, that we have a roof over our heads and don't have to go hungry, and have a bright future ahead of us. I wouldn't trade that for the world.

What are you thankful for this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment