Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Watercolor Play


I've been wanting to mess around with watercolors for a little while now, and tonight I finally sat down (on the floor - my fave place to paint) and cracked open my palette! I used to love watercoloring back in my high school art kid days and I forgot how fun they can be. They're an easy way to play around with color and blending and get used to the feel of a brush in your hand and I totally fell back in love with them in my little 90 minute session this year.


When it comes to watercolors I don't do anything fancy - I'm perfectly happy with a dinky little Crayola pallet that you can find in any kids arts and crafts section. I've never tried a tubed watercolor (though I'd love to) and I don't think you really need to in order to create something beautiful. It's all about learning to balance the water and the paint to get the right density which you can easily do with a little $5 pallet from Target or Michael's.



I feel like I say this every time I paint or draw, but I really want to make more time for creativity. It's tough and is usually the first thing that goes when things get busy, but it really makes me feel good an connects me back to myself unlike anything else does. When it's just me and my brushes I don't have to worry about anything else. I hope I can make this a regular part of my schedule once everything settles down a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I recently started doing watercolors this year and I really love it. It's really relaxing :)

    ReplyDelete