Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Considering a Diet Change

For a little while now I've been interested in researching different diet regimens. I've looked into paleo diets, raw diets, and even vegan diets, and I have to say that the prospect of changing my lifestyle to something a bit simpler really interests and excites me. At this point in time I don't think I could 100% commit to a full lifestyle change (i.e. going 100% cold-turkey vegan... no pun intended) but focusing more on a plant-based diet, weening my dairy and red meat intake, and trying to live more in accordance to a high-carb, high fruit, vegetable, and nut diet is something I feel like I can do.

I've been watching a lot of Freelee the Banana Girl (Warning: A lot of her videos feature graphic photos and videos of animal abuse in the meat and dairy industries and can be very hard to watch, but I applaud her for being courageous enough to speak out about the truth.) and she talks in length about living a high-carb vegan lifestyle and the health and fitness benefits that the lifestyle can bring you. She is very unapologetic and upfront, and a lot of people are put off by her in-your-face approach to her opinion on the importance of veganism, but she is speaking the truth throughout her videos and you can't blame someone for being real, even if it makes you uncomfortable.

Again, I caution you to tread carefully on this YouTube channel if you don't want to see the graphic images of animal abuse, but her videos are fascinating and she does a good job about suggesting awesome recipes and ways to approach a vegan diet. Here a couple of her videos regarding veganism that I find very interesting and a peak into what she does on YouTube. *Don't worry - I've watched all of these all the way through and there are no graphic images or videos of abuse! There is footage of a roadkill snake in the last video, but other than that, you're good.*







Again, I don't see myself going full vegan or even full vegetarian at this point in my life, and I'm not sure I ever will. There are some things about the vegan lifestyle that I don't 100% agree with (i.e. not eating honey because that's harmful to bees) but transitioning my focus to having a more plant-based diet is really appealing to me. I don't think I'm going to stop eating fish or completely stopping eating meat, but I'm open to cutting down on poultry and red meat. I'm probably not going to completely stop eating cheese (I mean.... c'mon. Cheese.), but I am open to springing more for almond/soy milk over dairy milk (I already do this occasionally). 

I know that changing your lifestyle can be challenging, but I'm looking forward to experimenting and finding a diet that works for me and is healthier overall. I'm curious to see how this goes and I know there will be slip ups along the way, but right now I'm feeling inspired to make a positive change!

Have any of you tried an alternative diet like veganism, paleo, or a raw food diet? 
Please let me know in the comments! I would love to hear about your experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment