Friday, November 21, 2014

A Few of my Favorite Links {#9}

(Trigger Warning: metal health/suicide, sexual harassment)

With how crazy my schedule has been this semester, I wasn't sure if I was going to have enough links to share with you all in this post. But as I perused my  recent Facebook and Twitter posts, I've actually been finding quite a lot of things on the internet that are conversation worthy as of late! Take a read/watch/listen to these links, and let me know what your favorites are!

21 Products for Coffee Lovers


SO MANY of these IMMEDIATELY went on my wish list on the first pass through this list. Mugs and coffee accessories are always a good gift idea, in my opinion. I'm currently trying to coax Brett into buying me the iced coffee cup for Christmas (pictured above) that instantly chills your coffee when you're on the go! *mind explodes*


Why We Choose Suicide

I came across this TED Talk while I was doing research at my internship, and it was so powerful that I had to share it. Mark Henick shares his story of living with mental illness and attempting suicide himself, and although it's very uncomfortable to listen to him talk about it, he makes a good point - it's easy to talk about suicide as an issue as long as it's behind closed doors. As long as we don't have to deal with the suicide head on. In order to really make the issue of suicide a real priority, we have to be honest, be uncomfortable, and talk about it. Please watch this video with caution, as his stories are very real and chilling, but watch with an open mind and an understanding that we, as a society, need to be serious about changing our views and actions on mental illness.




Lockup Extended Stay: Charleston


My sister works in Corrections in South Carolina, and over the past year the people of Lockup on MSNBC have been filming at the jail she works at. Tomorrow the episode that features her jail will premeire at 9PM EST and there's a good chance she will be on it! I'm so excited to get an inside look at what she does on a day-to-day basis because it's so different from what I do. (I always laugh at myself when I'm stressing out over running an event for college students when my sister is literally risking her life at work every day!) Make sure you watch the trailer today (linked above) and the episode tomorrow night!


But What Was She Wearing?

You ever see a project and just want to give the creator a hug? I had that feeling when I first discovered "But What Was She Wearing?" last week. This is a blog that allows individuals (both men and women) to share their experiences of street harassment, and to share what they were wearing when they experienced it. Many victims of street harassment get the "but what were you wearing?" response when trying to tell their stories with the assumption that what you wear should indicate how people should treat you. On this blog, you see individuals dressed in all sorts of styles, and experiencing very similar situations. It really does not matter what someone is wearing - harassment can happen at any time. Check out this blog and read some of the submissions to further understand the aim behind this project.

21 Struggles Every Cashier Will Recognize

This post could NOT be more true. I was a cashier for a grocery store for a little over 7 years, and while it was a great first job and the company was very kind to me while I worked through my busy high school and college schedules, being in customer service can definitely wear on you over time. I can't tell you how many times I have experienced everything on this Buzzfeed list, and I'm so happy and thankful that I've been able to live without these annoyances in my life for the last year and a half. Customer service people, I feel for you and will forever treat you with respect because I know all too well how it feels!

Accurate representation of my life when I was a cashier.

What are some links you've been loving lately?
Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment