Friday, February 14, 2020

Flying South & Surprising Erin + Cullen! // Rock n' Roll New Orleans Marathon Weekend Day 1


Like any good trip, I took WAY too many photos and videos and have decided the best way for me to chat about our trip is by designating one day per post! I usually try to cram everything into one long post or video, but that will take me FOREVER and I cannot wait to share with you what I got up to in New Orleans. So, without further ado, let's hop into our first day!


Brett worked on the day we left for New Orleans (Friday) so it made the most sense for me to wake up and commute in with him in the morning. Brett starts work at 6AM so that meant an early wake up call! Luckily I had the day off so I treated myself to a DELICIOUS breakfast at In a Pickle while I waited for him to work his shift. I also paid a visit to Cassie who had just returned from her cruise to chat and catch up. It was great getting to spend some time with her before we headed off to the airport.

Brett finished up work around 11AM and we hopped in an Uber to the airport. One fun thing about our trip down was that Erin & Cullen had absolutely 0 idea that Brett was coming on this trip! We didn't know ourselves until about a week before we flew out, and once we finally figured out that he could make the trip we decided for it to be a surprise for Erin & Cullen! I played coy all week with them, texting them all about *my* travels and just conveniently omitting that Brett was joining me. 😇

We did decide to have a bit of fun on the day we were travelling and sent them a few photos with Brett hiding somewhere in the background to see if they would notice. We had so much fun figuring out what we should send them! The first photo happened at the airport. Can you find Brett?


Unfortunately because Brett and I booked our tickets separately, we had to sit apart for the 4 hour flight to NOLA, and on top of that there wasn't a whole lot of in-flight entertainment options. I kept myself busy by reading Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor (GREAT pre-race read, btw) and eating some Sour Patch Watermelons which are totally my candy of choice at the moment.


We got to the AirBnB around 6PM and had some time to kill before Erin and Cullen arrived. We mostly just tried to relax for a bit, but we also wanted to send them at least one more picture with a hidden Brett to see if they would be able to notice. We tried a few different options but ultimately decided the below picture was the safest thing to send them without totally ruining the surprise! Can you find Brett?


We set Brett up in the bedroom that Erin & Cullen would be taking so that when they arrived he would be the first thing they saw. I think it's safe to say that they might not have caught the hidden Bretts because they were SO SURPRISED! I will never forget their reaction because it was SO good! 



I also had to share the photo of the surprise on Instagram, of course. 💗


We were all pretty hungry for dinner by the time Erin & Cullen arrived so we walked down to this restaurant right down the street from where we stayed called The Bayou Bistro and everything we ate was FIRE. ðŸ”¥ðŸ”¥ðŸ”¥ Our server was hilarious and actually ended up naming a cocktail after Brett (the Raspberry Brett Bomb 💙) and giving us a plate of crawfish on the house. It was such an incredible start to our trip and I loved every minute of it. #JAM


Outside of the restaurant there was this statue of a Sasquatch so of course we had to pose for photos with it before heading home for the night. 😂


I did vlog this trip and I'm so happy that I did! If you want to see behind the scenes of our travels and our surprise, check out our Day 1 vlog below. 


Our first evening in NOLA was such a blast and was a great sign for the weekend to come!
Stay tuned for more photos and videos from our trip tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment