Thursday, July 26, 2018

Summer Readathon TBRs: N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test) Readathon Plans


As if I don't have enough readathons to participate in, I'm going to be taking on the N.E.W.T.s readathon in August! This is a continuation of the O.W.L.s readathon that happened in April, but it has a bit of a twist: you can only read from the "subjects" that you passed during the O.W.L.s readathon. So that being said, if you haven't done your O.W.L.s, you can't do your N.E.W.T.s yet. These readathons are designed to be a bit more challenging that your typical readathon which I'm actually really excited about. I'm the kind of person that likes taking on challenges and seeing how far I can go with them! 

Here's how the N.E.W.T.s readathon works:

1. Take your O.W.L.s

2. Whatever subjects you passed during the O.W.L.s are eligible for you to read from during the N.E.W.T.s. You cannot read from a subject that you did not pass.

3. Each subject has "Acceptable", "Exceeds Expectations", and "Outstanding" challenges associated with them. You must complete the "Acceptable" challenge before attempting the "Exceeds Expectations" challenge, and you must complete the "Exceeds Expectations" challenge before attempting the "Outstanding" challenge. You cannot go out of order.

4. You cannot fulfill multiple challenges with one book. One book can only fulfill one challenge.

5. The ultimate goal of the readathon is to pass at least 3 exams and reach "Outstanding" in at least one subject.


While I passed 6 different exams during O.W.L.s, I'm only going to be attempting 4 subjects during the N.E.W.T.s. The subjects I will be taking are Arithmancy, Muggle Studies, Potions, and Transfiguration. My reasoning behind these choices is as simple as "I knew I had books on my shelf that could easily fulfill the challenges in these subjects" XD. Either way, I'm looking forward to reading these books and I'm so excited that this readathon exists!

N.E.W.T.s To Be Read


ARITHMANCY

Acceptable: A book with 300+ pages
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

Exceeds Expectations: A book that ends on an even numbered page
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Outstanding: A book that is not the first in a series
Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire


MUGGLE STUDIES

Acceptable: A book by a favorite Author
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Exceeds Expectations: A biography
The Stranger in the Woods by Michael Finkel

Outstanding: A retelling
Ms. Marvel, vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

POTIONS

Acceptable: A book with a color in the title
Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy

Exceeds Expectations: A book with a male lead character
Miles Morales: Spider-Man by Jason Reynolds

Outstanding: A book with 350+ pages
Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

TRANSFIGURATION

Acceptable: A book with a grey cover
The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir

Exceeds Expectations: A book by an author that you've never read before
Night Film by Marisha Pessl

Outstanding: A book set in a kingdom/has royals
The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger Lancelyn Green

---

Like with the O.W.L.s, I plan on making weekly blog updates to let you know how my reading is going throughout the readathon. I have been doing monthly vlog-style wrap ups for my reading, so I will be wrapping up all the books I read for N.E.W.T.s there and posting that in early September, but if you'd like to get updates in the meantime, check back to my blog every week! I hope you all are just as excited for this readathon as I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment