Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Reading Rush 2020 // Day 5 Recap


I was so happy to finally have a day without work during the readathon! The first thing I wanted to do yesterday was finally finish my outdoor book, Alex, Approximately. I woke up, took a shower, got some coffee, and set up shop in our backyard until I was done! It was such a pleasant morning filled with sunshine, a cool breeze, and a tropey AF young adult novel which is exactly what I wanted in my outdoor book. I ended up giving Alex, Approximately a solid 4/5 stars. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ I also *finally* started in on Scythe, the book that has been SO HYPED UP for me! I was so nervous to get this book started because I was worried I wouldn't like it as much as everyone else, but I'm 145 pages in and I have to say it is definitely living up to the hype. I can't wait to read more of it today!


DAY 5 STATS

Book(s) read today: 
Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
Scythe by Neal Shusterman
# of pages read: 330 pages
# of books completed: 1
# of challenges completed: 1

INSTAGRAM CHALLENGE
Take a photo of a book stack ✔️

For this challenge I wanted to display the 46 books that I've read so far this year. Knowing that it was going to be quite a large stack, I wanted to try a pyramid first. It was a bit underwhelming when it was done, though:

(the books that are turned around are representing the books I didn't have a physical copy of!)

I wanted the picture to be a bit more dramatic, so I stacked all the books on top of each other just to see how tall it would get. Brett made the suggestion of making the tower look a bit more precarious so he used his construction skills to make it look like this:


To be honest there were some moments when we had 0 faith that this tower would be able to stand on its own. It was wobbling like crazy as Brett was building it! But by some miracle it stayed up long enough for me to snap a few photos. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This was by far the most fun I've had with an Instagram challenge this week and I can't wait for you all to see the vlog footage from the creation of the stack!

TBR UPDATE

The After Party by Anton DiSclafani (0/384)
Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett (391/391) ✔️
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (248/248) ✔️
The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta (416/416) ✔️
Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore (356/356) ✔️
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer (0/288)
Scythe by Neal Shusterman (145/435)

CHALLENGE UPDATE

1. Read a book with a cover the same color as your birthstone ✔️
2. Read a book with a title that begins with "the" ✔️
3. Read a book that inspired a movie that you've already seen ✔️
4. Read the first book you touch
5. Read a book completely outside your home ✔️
6. Read a book in a genre you'd like to read more of
7. Read a book set in a different continent than where you live ✔️✔️✔️

WEEK STAT TOTALS

# of books completed: 4
# of pages read: 1,560
# of challenges complete: 5

Today will likely be the worst reading day of the week as we have a few friends coming over this afternoon for drinks and hanging out in the back yard. I'm going to read more of Scythe while I wait for them to arrive, but I won't be surprised if I got more than a couple dozen pages read today. I'm glad there's at least one more day left after today where I can try to get at least one more book completed before the Reading Rush ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment