Sunday, February 23, 2014

HESA 102

As I've gone through my first few months of grad school, I've picked up on a few new acronyms (seriously, the HESA world loves acronyms) that I've noticed myself throwing around both on my blog and vlog, and sometimes I forget that not everyone knows what the hell I'm talking about most of the time. I figured it was time for another edition of the HESA Dictionary, so maybe all of you lovely readers & viewers won't be so confused!

Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) 102

Programming Board: This is a student-run organization that plans and executes on- and off-campus events for students and university community members.

PC: Program Committee. This is the programming board I help advise at BSU. It's a major part of my GA!

SGA: Student Government Association. This is the student-run organization which represents the student body of a college or university. They're essentially the voice of the students that is linked to the administration of the institution.

FSL: Fraternity and Sorority Life. This is also run out of the office that I work at for my GA.

Orientation: This is a program that happens several times a year (usually June, August, and January) that welcomes new students (both first year and transfers) to campus. They get the opportunity to meet with faculty, take a tour of campus, register for classes, and be familiarized with on-campus resources.

OL: Orientation Leader. These are the current students that are in charge of getting new students familiar with campus. An OL position is an advanced leadership role on campus. I was an OL during the summer of 2010, and it was my first real glimpse into the student affairs world!

NACA: National Association for Campus Activities. This is the national organization for those in the field of Campus Activities. I went to the Regional Conference back in November, and I attended the National Convention this past weekend! I'm also looking into taking an internship with this organization at some point this year.

ACPA: College Student Educators International (Previously known as American College Personnel Association. Confusing, I know, but I guess they just never changed their acronym). This is an association for student affairs professionals in every branch of the field. I will be attending their National Convention in Indianapolis at the end of March!

NASPA: Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education (Previously known as National Associations for Student Affairs Personnel. Same situation as ACPA). This is also a national organization for student affairs professionals. There's no real distinct difference between ACPA and NASPA.

I hope this new addition of the HESA Dictionary cleared up a few of the things I yammer on about on this blog & in my vlogs. Make sure you check out HESA 101 for some more HigherEd definitions!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I feel like there are so many acronyms in this world. When I joined board of my organization (KP) I had to get used to so many! CORE, STAR, SPACES, SIAPS, CCC, etc. etc. etc.

    But hey, I've nominated you for the Liebster award! So check it out and do it when you have time :)
    http://alexipanda.blogspot.com/2014/02/liebster-award-from-carmarie-beat-of.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nomination! I've actually gotten a few tags, so I will be making a video trying to answer as many questions as I can and it will be coming out toward the end of the month. Keep an eye out! :)

      Delete