Tuesday, May 15, 2018

#LazCon Sighting!

One of the coolest things happened to me on the way to work this morning. I spotted Gary Cantrell a.k.a Lazarus Lake a.k.a LAZ, the creator of one of the most interesting races in running (The Barkley Marathons), making his way down US-20 in Charlton, MA! He embarked on a cross-country journey on foot last week (He's calling it LazCon) and while I knew he was in MA, I never would have thought I would see him. I noticed two walkers on the road as I was trudging my way through my commute and had this succession of thoughts:

1. Huh. I don't normally see people walking on this road.
2. Oh, that kinda looks like Laz. No way that could be him though?
3. Wait... I am on US-20.... and he's making his journey on US-20...
4. Omg is that Laz?
5. *passes by and gets a good look at his face* OMG IT'S LAZ!

I knew I had to turn around and snap a couple of pics for the people in my life that are also big fans of the Barkley. Laz and his walking partner looked like they were in great spirits and it was so neat to see them out there tackling an incredible goal!






I've been wanting to gush about this sighting all day, but really only my parents and Brett are the only people in my personal life that would have any idea what I was talking about, so I'm glad I was able to record this cool experience here on the blog! Honestly, this was so cool and inspiring to me and I'm so lucky to have been in same place at the same time as Laz. WHAT ARE THE ODDS?!

Anyway, for some context, I highly recommend checking out Laz's blog where he has been giving daily #LazCon updates. Also, if you want to find out a *little bit* of why Laz is such a legend, check out The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young and hopefully that will give you some background as to why this is so cool!

GO, LAZ, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment