Thursday, August 14, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Links {#6}

Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a fantastic week and enjoying your August. Can you believe how fast it's flying by? It's already half way done! It's been a big couple weeks for internet finds - some happy and some sad - but a lot of interesting things to scroll through. Here are some of my favorite links as of late!

Robin Williams Quotes That Will Stay With Us


The passing of Robin Williams came as a total punch to the gut for me, like many others. I remember loving every movie he was in while I was growing up (Mrs. Doubtfire being a staple in the childhood of my sister and I) and I could probably say he was my first favorite actor. Though this is a very sad situation, a lot of important and necessary dialogue surrounding suicide and mental illness is coming to the forefront which is a positive thing. This blog post, in many ways, put the thoughts I have on the subject into words (see the entire section of how we, as humans, try so hard to make things nice & positive, saying things like "You're free now", when in doing so we can actually wind up causing even more harm), however I know it's much more complex than this. It's just sad that a tragedy such as this one, and the suicides of millions of others, is what it takes to prompt such conversation. For now, I've just been reflecting on the happiness he brought me and the rest of the world with lists like the one above. Remember to love each other, be kind, and lend a helping hand to someone in need.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Ian Maclaren

Every #StrikeOutALS Ice Bucket Challenge Video

A still from my own video!

I know there's been a few negative Nancies hating on this trend, but I think it's great! I laugh every. single. time. I watch someone's video and it just warms my heart that it's also being done for a great reason. I know that there are some people who are missing the point of this challenge (that you're supposed to be raising awareness AND donating to an ALS charity) and some people don't even realize that it's for a cause, but those individuals who are doing it right have all the respect in the world from me. I was honored that I was tagged to do the challenge and be a part of it this wonderful movement to raise awareness for a disease that doesn't get all that much attention.

And to make it even better, here's our wonderful New England Patriots (including head coach Bill Belichick and owner Robert Kraft) participating as well!



Finnish Bluegrass AC/DC (Thunderstruck - Steve'n'Seagulls)


My dad and I heard this on the radio on our way up to Maine (of course) this past weekend. It's a Finnish Bluegrass band called Steve'n'Seagulls doing a cover of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" and it's as awesome as it sounds! I mean, just look at how that guy rips it on the banjo! If you can appreciate sheer musical talent, this is definitely worth 4 minutes of your time.

26 Foods You Should Learn to Cook in Your Twenties



I find myself learning new things in the kitchen almost every time I cook. Of course, this has happened much more frequently since I've been living on my own and haven't been able to use my work compensated meal plan, but each time I cook it's more and more fascinating and my kitchen confidence is continues to grow. I've mastered a good chunk of the items on this list, but would love to say I could easily make all 26 by the time I enter my next decade. (Luckily, I've got some time!)

Succulent Monster (v2)


I totally came across these by accident. If you're a Tumblr user, you'll know that when you're at the log in page, a random post will generate as the background. This photo generated as I was logging in yesterday and they IMMEDIATELY shot to the top of my wishlist as soon as I saw them! I mean... Bulbasaur succulent pots? Get. Real. I don't want these, I NEED THESE. The only drawback to these is that they're about $50, and I can't justify spending that much on a planter right now. Guess it'll just have to go on my Christmas list! (by ShamefulSquid on ShapeWays - rumor has it that they also have a Charmander oil lamp in the works!)

Disclosure - Latch (Dueling Violins Cover)


You know from my Summer Favorites post on Tuesday that "Latch" was my summer JAM. I really enjoy this rendition by YouTuber ThatViolinGuy, especially the first minute - I can't get it out of my head! Definitely check out his channel, he has tons of great covers, especially this Drake cover and this Ellie Goulding one!

What are your favorite links of the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment